CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, April 10, 2006

Place cards, Chicken, and Centerpieces!

We had a great deal weekend, both personally and for the Graduate Studies Department! Yesterday, when we were doing our weekly grocery shopping at Wal-Mart we came across a huge clearance table (which I always love!) and there was this huge stack of 72 "create your own placecards" for $1.00!! That's right, for this years Grad Studies Banquet I don't have to spend many hours trying to format and cut out place cards! These place cards come with a template and are perforated! Praise the Lord - both for my sanity and for the save in money!

As we were going through the store, we came to the meat section. I hate picking out meat, probably since I was a vegetarian for 8 years...Anyways, we always look for the sales. We saw this package of boneless skinless chicken that was marked $1.14. Then another section that was marked $1.69. I went and got the meat guy to make sure that this price was for the whole package and not per pound. Sure enough it was for the whole package! Then we looked some more and there were 4.48 lb. packages, normally $9.48 on sale for $2.97! Needless to say we stocked up and filled our freezer with chicken for a good part of the summer! I love when I can be resourceful of our money.

Lastly, thank you all for your suggestions on Centerpieces. I was on a roll today ordering all of the class supplies. I should have mentioned to you all that we invited the wives to join thier husbands for this class. Therefore, I thought I could make the banquet a little bit more feminine! I was picking out paper for the ladies sessions and found letter head with red poppies. That sparked an idea! I then found red poppies for $2.49 (6 flowers each) and vases (round cyliner) for $2.99. Then we are going to do light yellow table clohtes, and red napkins. I am going to be looking for bamboo placemats or something like that to go under the vases - anyone know where I can find these? I also might put some rocks in the bottom of the vase. I will keep you posted and take pictures! Thanks for all of your suggetsions! I am going to store them away for the next class!

Hope you all had a great weekend!

7 comments:

S said...

Sounds like it's all coming together. What a great idea and something different than has been done in the past! I'll look forward to seeing the pics and see how the class goes.

Katie Barker said...

Kelly, I REALLY like the poppies idea. I know that you can get bamboo placemats at Target. Ok never mind, you don't have target up there. Maybe check the dollar store, or if you have time and could order them online. I also am in favor of the rocks. I say, just go out to the woods, pick the smoothest ones you can find, wash them off, and Wha-lah. You saved more money :) Please please take pictures. I want to see the end result!

Katie Barker said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Love the poppy idea. Sounds very colorful and yet feminine with the flowers and vases. Try Oriental Trading. They have all sorts of cheap stuff - not sure if they carry bamboo placemats though. It's worth a shot though; they usually have everything imaginable for decorating. Holy cow, great deal on the chicken! We unfortunately don't have a food-y wal-mart. :(

I know, weird about my connection to the amblers, eh? They're a great crew. I didn't actually have PJ for any classes though I don't think. I think him and his freshman cronies had a crush on me at the time though. :)

christina said...

wow, great deals! what a shopper you are! :-)
definitely post pictures of your banquet....your ideas sound great.

Kelli said...

I will definatley post pictures of the banquet. It will be June 8. I ordered square bamboo placemats from Bed Bath and Beyoned for $1.99! I think they will look really neat and kind find many uses. I am anxious to receive all of my goodies and put them together to make sure it looks as good in real life as it does in my head!

Shannon: the flowers will be a different idea and I think the ladies will like it!

Katie: Thanks for the great tip on finding rocks! That would definately save money!

Alicia: Ah high school crushes on the teachers! =) Such a fun and nice family the Amblers are! I told him that I felt like we were friends even though we have never met! He said that we would get along great!

Christinia: Thanks for checking out our blog!

pamela s said...

Sounds beautiful! Love the idea, very festive.
Finding things I need or will use on clearance always gives me a shopping high! :)