CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Threads of Love

Several summers ago, Heston's Grandmother, Gram, taught me how to crochet. At first I did it just so I could spend time with her and talk, but I found out I REALLY like it. I thought to myself, I am the person I use to make fun of! =) Well, I have made blankets for a few friends' babies, and yes, even some for my own children (who are not yet born). Since I enjoyed it so much and since the winters are SO LONG up here in Wisconsin, it was suggested that I make them and give them away to a charity. My cousin works for a nursing home and she said that they love lap afghans, but she also suggested making blankets for the preemie babies at local hospitals. So, I did a little bit of research for a Christian organization that would also share the love of Christ with the family of these babies, and I have been making small blankets for them! It has been a joy to do this. Here are a few pictures!


12 comments:

Unknown said...

beautiful crocheting! that's terrific and very honoring to the Lord that you are donating them through a Christian organization. how long did these take you? i would love to learn too - maybe some day when i have some free time with my grandma.

Kelli said...

Alicia: Thanks! These took me a few days to do. Keep in mind that they are small! 15x15 or so. Both my other grandmas are thrilled that I have learned to crochet and it is fun to do it with them! You should learn; I am sure you would enjoy it!

Heather said...

Great Job Kelli! Good use of your time that is for sure!

Jenny said...

Those are beautiful! This is one of those "lost arts" that I'm glad you're keeping alive!! I'm sure those families will be overjoyed to get your beautiful blankets.

pamela s said...

I learned to crochet last year from a friend. Last year for each month a different friend had a baby! Talk about lots of crochet practice! Now I'm finishing up 2 afghans for our mothers for Mother's Day. Unfortunatley, Wal-Mart discontinued their brand so I had to search high & low for another yarn to match so I can finish one. Oh, the joys of crochet!

Heath, Jamie, Julie, & Mady said...

Kelli - that's a very original way to fill people in on what the truth is. maybe jamie and i will have to have some more kids so you can make a blanket for them (JUST KIDDING - no more little ones here)

Shyla said...

go nana go!!
I am just teasing! I love to knot believe it or not! Those are really pretty blankets! I am looking forward to seeing if any older ladies in the knitting circle at church come up with anything neat for my shower! I love the sentimental aspect of all of the time that goes into a gift like that!

suzanne said...

Hey Kelly, I love to crothet. My family makes fun of my because if it, but they sure love the blankets that they get! That is a good idea to make them to donate. Mabye I will look into that!

Kelly Glupker said...

Hi Kelli,
I am impressed with your work! I tried to learn a year ago. I went to this women's day at my church where you could sign up for different classes. By the end of the class we were supposed to go home with a washcloth. My masterpiece was smaller than a stick of gum - I am not exagerrating either. So I think you are doing wonderful!

S said...

Beautiful work Kelli! I don't know if I have the patience for projects like that, but I wish I did..it is a lost art!

Anonymous said...

That's a great idea for spending time during the winter. They're lovely, especially the green one. Plus, if you donate them to hospitals for preemies, you could be helping out a baby like Gabe! When we saw him in the hospital he was wearing one of the tiniest caps. It had been knit and donated by some local older ladies. But the design made him look a bit like Waldo from Where's Waldo :)

Karen said...

I'm so impressed, Kelli! I'd love to learn to crochet but I'm a little intimidated! I tried cross stitch as a pre-teen and HATED it. :)