CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, April 03, 2006

Lessons in Self-Discipline

I have been challenged as of late to lead a more dicsiplined life. I have been married for almost 3 years and it amazes me that I don't have a more disciplined life in how I care for my husband and for my home. I go it spurts of doing well, but I have never quite accomplished my goal of making the daily things in my life habits. I know it takes consistency and time to make things habits, but I have just been too lazy to stick with things long enough to make them habits.

I was talking with my sister in law, Heather, after we got back from our weekend at her house and I told her that after spending a weekend in her home I was challenged to make the beds each morning and keep the kitchen clean. I was also reminded how important it was to have a daily menu. Not only does it make that daunting task so much easier, you make healthier meals, save money at the grocery store by only purchasing what you need, but most of all, it makes Heston SO HAPPY when I tell him what is for dinner. I am thankful to Heather for showing me this and for reminding me how important it is to care for my family.

Not only do I want to be disciplined in cleaning my house and making meals for my husband, I want to be dicsiplined in Scripture reading and daily exercise. Both of these things are importaint to my daily life. I know my scripture reading and meditation is most important, but I know for me, these 2 things go hand in hand. I find that if I am disciplined enough to work out, in that same day I also am disciplined in my scripture reading.

You all can pray for me that I would exemplify the Proverbs 31 woman and take care of my household. Heather mentioned the title of the book Beauftiful in God's Eyes by Elizabeth George. This book goes through Proverbs 31 section by section. I am going to read this book and make this part of my daily Bible study.

All of the above mentioned things are habits I want to form in my life before we have children. I know if I can't be disciplined to do those things now it will only become harder once we add a baby to our lives. That day will be here soon enough so I must get on the road to self-discipline!

If you all wouldn't mind sharing ideas in how you exemplify self-discipline in your daily life I would love any suggestions!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey girl!!
For what it's worth, I guess I have some ideas!!
I've learned to have three tupperware containers in my fridge, one is full of cut up carrots, one is full of minced onions, and one is full of cut up green peppers. That way, if I want to make something involving those things, they are already sliced and diced, I just throw them in the pot. That saves some time.
Also, you can keep peeled, sliced, cut-up potatoes in your fridge for a week if they are in a tupperware container with water.
I've also done that with chicken. I just boil it (to cook it) cut it up into cubes and stick it into a tupperware container to throw into a dinner dish.
So, basically if you spend like two hours on a saturday slicing and dicing you can save yourself some hassle the rest of the week!! Then you hae some healthy stuff to throw together for a meal.
Also, I've gotten in the habit of writing out a meal schedule. It saves me from being frustrated with myself and helps me to plan ahead, it also helps with the budget! Dave likes it too because he can peek on the fridge and see what's for lunch!
Also, sometimes I will just take a Saturday and make a couple different soups, then you can stick them in the freezer and pull them out on a rainy day! :) Hope these ideas help!! Love ya! Keara

S said...

Kelli - I had thought about doing a post about the same thing earlier. I guess it's something we all struggle with in different areas. All of us have 'fun' P31 jobs and not so fun ones. A book I have found helpful is Disciplines of a Godly Woman discussing the spiritual and physical disciplines. Of course the hardest part is living it out and putting things into practice. Anyways, for my home, I have found the website www.flylady.com helps. It can all be so overwhelming, but they encourage you in the little areas. I'm glad we can all encourage each other in our walk to be more like Christ!

Unknown said...

I agree with Shannon. I have some p31 chores that I love to do and I thrive at. The ones that get me are keeping the house clean. Those seem so boring compared to sewing and cooking. Good thing my hubby is a neat freak and gently reminds me of my household duties.

I admire your desire to get organized and disciplined. I highly recommend a weekly menu. I also recommend having ingredients on hand for a quick supper when you're out of stuff. I always have cans of tomato sauce, tomatoes and pasta on hand for spaghetti. And eggs always work well for a breakfast type dinner. I also like to cut up celery into sticks for the fridge so I have a healthy snack on hand.

I look forward to reading other ladies suggestions!

Jenny said...

With the menu idea, ours is more of a "suggestion" menu. I shop for everything I need for the duration of the menu, but if I don't feel like eating what is on the scheduled day, or if we have unexpected company and I need something a little more "stretchable" I can fix something else on the menu.

My mom and I were just talking about the star system as well - it's similar to a chore chart for kids. She always gave herself stars on the calendar for goals accomplished for the day. One color star sticker for her quiet time, one for sticking with healthy eating, and one for exercise. It was right on the calendar for everyone to see, so it really helped motivate her. Seems goofy, but I think I might try it!!

I also broke down household chore list by days to help me keep a slight handle on things when I started working full time. I was overwhelmed thinking that when I had time to clean, EVERYTHING had to be done. So now I do a few more time-consuming things 5 days a week. For example, Mondays I vaccuum the house and dust the living room, Tuesdays clean the bathroom and the kitchen floor, etc. It's really helped me get things done and not go insane because everything isn't perfect all the time. Sorry this is so long!

Kelli said...

Thank you all for you thoughts and suggestions! I have done really well the past few days, but I know that is just because I am motivated! Hopefully and prayerfully that will last!

Keara: I loved the idea of having things already cut up in the fridge! I am going to have to do that! I have started posting a menu and Heston loves that!

Shannon: Thanks for the name of that book; I will have to read that! I have checked out flylady.com before but I think I overwhelmed myself by reading it all at one time...I am going to try it again!

Alicia: Thanks for the meal and snack ideas. I know I always need to have a meal on hand just in case. Thanks!

Jenny: Hmmm...I just might try the stars on the calendar thing! That always motivated me when I was a child =) I do have a chore list that I used when I lived in an apartment, but I have yet to adapt it to my house...I am going to get on that! Also, I like the idea of flexibility with the menu. That way you aren't stuck with a meal that you really don't feel like eating!

Again, thanks everyone for your suggestions! I am going to put them to good use!