CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, April 03, 2006

Trial of Good Times

Have you heard of it? I hadn't heard of it until yesterday at church. A man in our church, Mr. Mike Glanzer spoke of this trial. He used James 1 as his supporting passage. He said that this is the true test of our walk with God. The basic thought is that when our lives are going well, we have clothes in the closet, food on the table, a car to drive, at least a little money in the bank and our health is good, it is easy to forget God. During these good times, I often find myself drifting in my walk with God. I don't cling to the Scripture like I do when I am going through hard times. I become self-sufficient in what I can do and forget to rely on the Lord. I become proud in what I have accomplished and forget that it is ONLY God that can accomplish things through me. This was a rebuke to me. I realized that in this "trial of good times" I am failing. I need to run to my God with the same thirst and desire taht I have when I feel like I really NEED Him. The sad fact is is that I ALWAYS need him, but due to my self-sufficiency, I feel like I don't need Him quite as much. I encourage you to stop and think about this. I am glad that I did and I pray that I will start succeeding in this trial by seeking after my God in the way that I ought!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Totally agree, Kelli. I was delusioned by the affluence I saw in my recent trip to NYC and I saw how much I desire worldly instead of heavenly things. The sweetest times I have with God are when I'm deperately clinging to Him during a bad times trial. Thanks for the rebuking thoughts.

Unknown said...

i wanted to add that I think spiritual "busyness" (especially in ministry or inmy case in being a stay at home mommy) also keeps us from really staying close to God. I think bcuz I'm busy in God's work that I have a valid excuse for not spending quality time in His word or in prayer. Sigh. I'm such a weakling in the spiritual war going on! Thanks again for the challenge dear.

Kelli said...

Alicia-
Thanks for your added comments! The spiritual busyness that we find ourselves in causes us to get caught up in the motions and we lose heart and forget the reason why we are doing what we are doing.

We also jus had a chapel message today on the affluence that we as Americans are so caught up in. The speaker had just recently been to China and he talked about how the believers in China are so different than we are. They don't have "things" and they are persectued for thier faith and yet they keep going strong and continue sharing the gospel even though it may mean thier life. What a challenge!

Heather said...

Thank you so much for this post! What a reminder that I still need to stay close to Him, even if He is providing for my family and I think we are doing OK!

Jenny said...

Good reminders! Do you guys attend Grace? I thought perhaos since you mentioned Mike, and last I knew, they were going there, too. That was where we went while we were up at Northland. I miss those people so much!!

Kelli said...

Jenny-
Yes, we do attend Grace. We love it! We teach the 2 and 3 year old sunday school class every Sunday. We have enjoyed having a church body that we can really feel a part of.